Category Archives: Community

Father’s Day 2020

The Covid Year This recent photo was the first time I was able to see my father in person since the start of the Covid-19 lockdowns. It had been twelve weeks since our previous visit. When we could finally be in the same room together again we hugged, laughed, cried a little, laughed some more, and picked up where we left off.… Read the Rest

The Heroes Among Us

Current Heroes We have been reading and listening to the heroes among us for the past six-plus weeks. The frontline hospital doctors and nurses who fight for us daily to save our families’ and friends’ lives. The police officers and firefighters who assist us when we are stranded or in peril.… Read the Rest

Twenty-Twenty, a Clearer Vision

Twenty-twenty vision indicates that we have a clear view of what is in front of us. Our hope is that the year 2020 will bring similar clarity: being perceptive (and hopefully receptive) not only to what we see up ahead, but to everything that we can dream for our future.… Read the Rest

When Words Aren’t Enough

“Gratitude” is a word that comes up frequently during the holiday season, along with “blessings,” “family,” and “community.” This year we are especially thankful – for each and every one of our clients who continue to support us not only year after year, but also in the aftermath of the 10/20 tornado.… Read the Rest

How an F3 Tornado Can Unite a Community

It is truly amazing to see the transformation that is taking place every day at Preston and Royal in Dallas, Texas. Two weeks ago the haberdashers at Ken’s were heading to the Dallas Cowboys game, not having a clue what the next few hours would be like.… Read the Rest

Rebuilding in the Aftermath

We have been through this before. We have weathered financial crises, catastrophic global and domestic events, and natural disasters of all kinds. Our recent tornado and storm on 10/20, however, was a bit too close to home for Ken’s and the haberdashers.… Read the Rest

Partnership = Community = Paying It Forward

We know it and say it all the time in Dallas: who you know is more important than what you know. Those times of trying to get in the door to make an introduction, or searching for a contact for the business deal your company is creating.… Read the Rest

Father’s Day Legacy

What could I possibly buy for the man who provided food on the table, clothes on my back, a roof over my head, moral lessons to live by, a work ethic that never quit, and a knowledge base of the family business that now allows me to provide for my own family?… Read the Rest

And the Bill Hunt Memorial Scholarship Award Goes To…

Last month we talked about the importance of tradition and community here at Ken’s, and how these values inform everything that we do, both inside and outside the store. One of the ways we demonstrate this is through the Bill Hunt Memorial Scholarship award, which is presented each year to a Garland High School senior who we feel embodies the integrity and character of Bill Hunt.… Read the Rest

What ‘Being a Gentleman’ Means in the Modern World

Even in these days of technology that permeates our entire existence, we must not lose sight of basic human elements. Being a gentleman is one of those. We talked before about how style is more than just physical appearance, that it’s about your attitude, your actions, and your inner confidence.… Read the Rest

Why Word-of-Mouth Is So Important

Advertising is pretty much everywhere these days. It seems like you can’t avoid it, even when you’re just browsing the web or catching up with friends on social media. For independent haberdashers, however, referrals that come through word-of-mouth are the most valuable way to make new connections and develop relationships.… Read the Rest

Style: It’s More than Just How You Look

Every single day, we help men who want to look their absolute best. While having a well-defined personal style certainly involves quality clothes and how you wear them, it’s also about a lot more than that. If you really want to hone your personal style into the pinnacle of what it can be, keep these four things in mind.… Read the Rest

Your Brand is YOU

My sole purpose is to serve. It is an honor to be able to do so across so many different avenues of people, businesses, and organizations. To serve someone to the best of my abilities, I must get to know them better through consultation.… Read the Rest

Metamorphosis Takes Time

The goal of any aging business is to continue to be innovative, evolve, and remain current while maintaining the realm of its DNA. Ken’s loves the relationships with the multiple generations of clients and the new ones still discovering us. We have been listening.… Read the Rest

Ken’s Haberdashery News — Spring 2018

Spring Trend Report We are right around the corner from another great season! Spring trends continue to emerge each day and week within the shop. Here are some items to keep an eye on to stand out this spring! Samuelsohn is all about the fabrication within the garments for Spring 18.… Read the Rest